Antoine Manseau founded the town of Leland in 1852, and at that time, the town was primarily a logging town. Jacob Schwarz, a German immigrant to Leelanau County, constructed the original Riverside Inn in 1901. Mr. Schwarz had previously been involved in the logging industry, partially owning three different saw mills. As a former resident of Indianapolis, Indiana, Schwarz recognized a potential market for Leland in the summer tourist trade. Wealthy residents of Indianapolis, Chicago, Cincinnati and Detroit were looking for locations for their summer getaways.